Thursday, December 30, 2010

Breakfast Cereals Gluten Free

One of the harder parts of changing to gluten and dairy free is the issue of breakfast cereals.  What was once a convenience for breakfast seems impossible after diagnosis.  I know when we got our diagnosis, this was one of the most frustrating pieces.  What to do for a quick breakfast?  Do I give them a bowl of sugar in the form of generic Fruity Pebbles or do I give them flat boring and seemingly inedible plain rice crispies?  Well after a while I found many great and palatable options for my children, all of them consisting of a combination of both devils.  I found this to be much more appealing than doing even what my mom did, choosing the healthier cereals and having us put a spoon or two or three. . .uh, ten on our cereal (LOL- we would, it was sugar and we were kids).   With all of these combinations, you still taste the sugary as if you had a whole bowl of it, but the sugar content is close to 5 grams a serving

So the combinations I use are:

Generic Coco Puffs and Kix
Generic Fruity Pebbles and Puffed Brown Rice
Generic Coco Pebbles and Puffed Brown Rice
Generic Honey Nut Cherrios and Generic Regular Cherrios
Generic Captain Crunch and Kix
*Some Gluten free individuals will be sensitive to oats, which is the main ingredient of Cherrios

You get the idea and from my list you will probably come up with others for your children. 

I layer the cereals in a cereal container (here) move it around a bit to mix the two cereals together and then the kids are able to serve their own cereal every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment