Monday, June 13, 2011

Don't forget the GELATIN!!


I developed my White Sandwich Bread and my kids and I were IN HEAVEN!!  We loved it!!  I made several pre-packed mixes so I could make it every other day for a few weeks and we used it all.  Then I made more mixes and we started the process again.  EXCEPT. . . something changed between the mixes.  Suddenly my bread was crumblyish and when I put the peanut butter on (sun-butter) it would roll up off the bread covered in crumbs.  The peanut butter literally could not stick to the bread.  I don't know how to express how I felt.  The loaves before were absolutely PERFECT and I could not think back to what I had done differently in the other set of loaves because they were packed weeks ago. So my last 5 loaves have been spent troubleshooting.  I felt like I was in the stages of discovering this perfect loaf again. Devestated-- a drama queens description of how I felt.  FRUSTRATED!  DEFINITELY!

SO I checked it all, the amount of Xanthan Gum, Eggs, Pudding, Flax, sugar. . . Nothing.  I thought perhaps a change in brands of Xanthan Gums did it; you know a lesser quality.  Nothing fixed it.  Then I decided to start adding items.  Since gelatin is something I use in all my breads, I tried adding it first. BREAD FIXED.  Lesson learned. Take better notes when I am creating AND DON'T FORGET THE GELATIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment