Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Coconut Pecan Pie Crust (substitute for crumb or graham cracker crust)



This pie crust is like a substitute for a graham cracker or crumb style crust.  It started out for me as a nut and butter crust that I used when I would make my pumpkin pie.  However, with each holiday season, I would tweak the previous recipe.  It has gone through many changes and I really love end result of this crust!  It is my favorite pie crust of all of them and great with custard style fillings.  I think I just did my last tweak!


Coconut Pecan Pie Crust
3/4 cup frozen pecans
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Coconut
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
3 TBSP Melted butter or crisco

1) In food processor, pulse pecans until largest pieces are the size of split peas.
2) Put the processed pecans in a bowl and add the tapioca starch.  Mix til nuts are evenly coated.
3) Add & incorporate coconut and sugar. Then mix in melted butter
4) Place 'dough' in 9 inch pie pan and press over bottom and sides with your fingers
5) Add your favorite filling and bake according to the filling instructons.  If your filling is no bake, then bake 400 for about 12-14 minutes or til lightly golden. When it is done baking it may be more puffy than you care for, if so, just press it done gently with your fingers or the back of a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment