Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chicken Dumpling Soup - Cheater Style!!



Today was a ridiculously crazy day.  My little monster who flooded my bathroom yesterday just so happened to unintentionally swallow his hearing aid battery when he was knocked on his back by his sibling in a race to the open fridge.  SO we found ourselves scrambling off to an X-Ray appointment about 2:30 and I knew that tonight's dinner ideas were going to be toast - almost literally.  Chicken Dumpling Soup with my inventive cheating methods was just an attempt to place a meal more decent than that on tonight's dinner table, but the end result was beyond my wildest intentions!

If you have never made a dumpling soup, it is a little tricky.  I'm talking even using the normal white flour (wheat), it's not all that easy to accomplish.  I tried Gluten Free Chicken Dumpling Soup one other time and it felt like it would be impossible to accomplish with Gluten Free ingredients, because the dough just dissembles into nothingness once it hits the boiling liquid.  SO today I implemented my Cheater Style and it not only worked, but the taste was of utter awesomeness!!  Its outcome caught me by such surprise that I did not even snap a picture of it prior to serving, hence no picture.  I was also rushing out the door so quickly after downing my bowl, that I did not even get to see the kids' reaction when they tasted theirs.  However, when I returned an hour and a half later, every single one of them and my not so gluten-free-thrilled husband came and told me how much they loved it! A definite hit!! The recipe was so excellent that it will definitely be made again at which time I will surely snap a quick pic and update the entry.

Chicken Dumpling Soup

Soup

3 Small-Medium Chicken Breasts Diced in 3/4 inch cubes
2 Small Carrots chopped in thinly sliced coins
2 Celery Ribs, average sized, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
2 TBSP Dried Onion Flakes
About 6 cups of water
* * * *
32 oz Box Chicken Broth
3/4 - 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
1/8 -1/4 tsp Pepper 
1/4 - 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
 
Dumplings

1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick pancake/biscuit mix
1/3 cup Shortening 
* * * *
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/4 cup Rice Milk

1) Place first list of soup ingredients in a pot, cover, and bring to boil. Turn down as needed to prevent spillage. 
2) Now keep your eye on the soup, but direct your attention to the dumplings.
3) In a small mixing bowl, cut the shortening into the biscuit mix to pea sized (just as box instructs)
4) Add 2nd list of Dumpling ingredients and mix well.
5) Using a spoon drop dough onto cookie sheets in drops just bigger than 1/2 tsp.
6) Bake 375 for 8 -10 minutes til the bottoms are just golden; once you put them in the oven and set the timer, return back to working on the pot of soup on the stove.
7) Add 2nd list of soup ingredients to the pot and bring to boil again, then turn off stove.
8) Serve by placing dumplings in bowl as the soup is served.

Serves 2 Adults and 4 kids OR 4 Adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment