Sunday, April 17, 2011

An 'ODE' to Cinnamon - AND a Simple Cinnamon Tea

Have you noticed that I use Cinnamon alot and when I use it I use lots of it?  Well if not, I DO!  SO now you are likely wondering why I bring it up and why I do.  

SO I will tell you. . .

Cinnamon is a very beneficial fiber.  Nearly its entire composition is fiber with minimal amounts of other simple carbs and minimal sodium, but with its simple composition comes quite miraculous health benefits.  Did you know that cinnamon regulates blood sugar levels?  It does!  By regulating your blood sugar levels, you will also regulate your hunger. . .With Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes on an exploding rise, you can see why something as simple as cinnamon could be so important in someones diet.  Another important factor that helps the same population of individuals and more too, is that cinnamon also lowers your LDL or BAD Cholesterol. It seems very fitting that cinnamon usually accompanies sugar in the best of treats slathered in cholesterol loaded fats like cinnamon rolls.  Already you can see how important it is in our diet.

While these are the primary reasons I started to use cinnamon in my baking, it hardly gives the story of the importance of cinnamon. If you read the following articles, let me bring your attention to the fact that cinnamon also has antifungal and antibacterial properties and specifically has been proven to successfully control prescription resistant yeast infections and thrush.  

Yes! Cinnamon is very important in our diets. 

Health Benefits of Cinnamon
10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon

Cinnamon Tea:

1 Cinnamon Stick
2-4 cups of water

Put water and cinnamon in a pot on the stove.  Bring to boil until the water has a brownish tone to it.  About 10-15 minutes.  Add sugar to taste if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment