Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Quiche


This recipe is soo overdue!  I have wanted to post it since long before my computer crashed, but with a trip to Little Rock and Tulsa, and lots of well needed summer fun, it just did not happen. This is another of my raves in my desires to increase the amount of vegetables our family eats and also to make sure that none of our garden produce goes to waste. The most wonderful part about this recipe is that nothing is really 'in stone'.  It is soo flexible. Mostly any combination of vegetables and meats will work, so use your imagination! 

When I first thought of Quiche Gluten and Dairy Free, I felt like it was just a danger zone!  I mean Quiche without MILK?? But, really, is it possible to live without a QUICHE??!  I say it is NOT!  And quite honestly, I think I LOVE my recipe more Gluten and Dairy Free than my original recipe!  AND my boys do too!  Even though this recipe is mostly vegetables, they were fighting over the last pieces!  SOO I hope some fellow QUICHE LOVERS stumble upon this recipe and are pleasantly reunited with a fave!! 

The last time I made this, I meant to add 1/4 cup chopped fresh Basil, but I forgot 'til the Quiche was already in the oven.  SO I can't speak for the Basil yet, but I will try it next time and get back to you on it.

Quiche

1 cup Vegetables (Zucchini or mushrooms are my faves!!)
1/4 cup chopped onion (I do green w/ mushrooms or white w/ zucchini)
2 TBSP Butter
* * * *

1 TBSP Tapioca Starch
1 TBSP Rice Flour
1-2 TBSP Butter 
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Rice Milk

* * * *
4 Eggs, Beaten
1/2 cup sliced lunch meat cut in 1 inch pieces (Ham w/ zuchini or Turkey w/ mushrooms)
1/2 cup Shredded Non-Dairy Yellow Cheese (I use Vegan Gourmet)
1/2 cup Better than Sour Cream
1/4 cup Rice Milk
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Dried Minced Garlic

1) List one: Melt butter in skillet and saute veggies til soft.  About 5+ minutes.
2) List two: Act like you are making gravy. Melt butter in a skillet and add Flour/Starch stiring vigorously to prevent clumping.  Add broth continuing to stir to prevent clumps, then add milk still stirring.
3) Set aside while you combine ingredients of 3rd list in a bowl.  Then add #1 and #2 to the bowl and just incorporate.
4) Transfer mixture to a 8-9inch pie shell. (I don't have my crust recipe up yet, but I will be sure to post ASAP)
5) Bake 375 for 30-35 minutes or until knife comes out clean.  Cool 5 mins and ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment