Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini Boats


I appologize for not posting for so long.  My computer was broken and I was without for almost a month. It was a near death experience :o)  I cannot live without a computer!  Lucky school was just around the corner when it broke, or else I may have been without much longer. 

I have had a desire to increase the amount of vegetables our family eats for a while, without the motivation.  With a garden in place, I decided that summer time was the perfect time to do this.  Tonights dish I was not planning on putting on the blog, but it was soo delicious I had to!  I want to be able to remember how I made this accident so I can repeat it!  The picture does not include the 'cheese' topping.

 
Stuffed Zucchini Boats

3 Medium Zucchini
1/2 pound Ground Turkey or Beef
1 cup Plain Tomato Sauce
1/2 TSP Onion Powder
1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Garlic and Herb Salt Free Mrs. Dash (Turqoise Lid)
1/4 cup Freshly Chopped Basil Leaves (about 20 medium large leaves)1/4 cup Chopped Pepperoni
3/4 cup Favorite Non Dairy Cheese (I used yellow Vegan Gourmet)

1) Cut the zucchini in half long ways and carve out the insides.  I tried taking out the insides using a knif first, then also with a spoon.  The spoon was much easier.  Using the spoon, I pressed it into the zucchini along the edges first, then starting atthe widest part of the back, I scooped it out. If you accidentally stick your spoon through the bottom or break a side, don't worry about it, it will still work and you won't even notice it when it is done. Set your 'boat' aside and chop the insides to about square centimeter pieces.
2) For the filling. Cook up your ground beef in a skillet and then add the chopped zucchini.  Cook for about 3-5 minutes and then add the DRY spices.  Let cook another couple minutes in the skillet. Then turn off heat and add Basil and Pepperoni.
3) Place your empty Zucchini Boats on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I sprayed a line for each boat.  Sprinkle salt and pepper in empty boats then fill with the filling and cover in shredded 'cheese'.  Since my husband is not  Dairy Free I used provolone cheese on his and he absolutely LOVED it!!
4) Pre-heat oven to 425 and bake 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment