Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Perfect Basic Loaf



I was talking to a friend this morning who wanted to try my other bread recipe, but was waiting on some ingredients before she tried it.  My thoughts consumed me.  My first recipe was created completely health consciously and of course with many ingredients that the average Gluten Free kitchen does not have.  Many people who would like to try my recipe may not be motivated to buy the rare ingredients.  I needed to simplify.  So I decided to create a loaf for the average Gluten Free individual.

For the creation of this loaf I went back to the basics using only the bare necessities to conserve the quality of the loaf.  I have removed the honey, the wild rice, and coconut cream.  I was going to remove the flax and the fruit/vegetable puree, but there would be a tremendous compromise of texture & flavor which is critical in gluten free bread.  So all in all this loaf would be similar to a loaf of bread made with both white and whole wheat flours.

Basic GF Bread

1 1/3 cups Sorghum
1 1/3 cups Oatmeal
2/3 cups Tapioca
1/3 cups Flax
1/3 cup Sugar
1 TBSP Xanthan Gum
2 tsp Gelatin
2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Baking Soda
*  *  *  *
4 tsp Yeast*
2 TBSP + 1 tsp warm water
2 tsp sugar
*  *  *  *
2/3 cups Butter
2/3 cup Rice milk
1/3 cup Water
2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Egg + 1 Egg white, beaten
*  *  *  *
2 2/3 cups Puree (Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Applesauce, Bananas, Mango, etc)  

1) Combine all dry ingredients (1 st group) in medium bowl
2) Combine 2nd group of ingredients (for yeast mixture) in a small cereal bowl or cup
3) Combine all wet ingredients (3rd group) in a large bowl.
4) When yeast mixture becomes bubbly and thickens, combine groups 1 and 2 along with the fruit/vegetable puree in with the wet ingredients (if you use applesauce remove 1 TBSP of liquid per 1/2 cup used).
5) Divide dough and place in 2 greased 9 x 4 inch bread pans and let rest in warm place for 1/2 hour
6) Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes. Then cover with tinfoil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer.


*If you prefer not to use yeast use 1 1/3 cups starter. Just remove the yeast along with 2/3 cup liquids and 2/3 cup flours.  I recommend that you remove some of several flours rather than removing just 1 type of flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment