Thursday, March 24, 2011

Breakfast Casse-ROLLS


I don't know what came over me tonight, but whatever it was it was GOOD!!  In fact I will let you be the judge of exactly how GOOD it was!!  It goes something like this. . .

I was sitting at the computer surfing the world wide web and visions of tomorrows breakfast were consuming my thoughts.  I was supposed to be bagging pre-made brownie mixes tonight while the boys watched Star Wars AH-GAIN, but I wasn't.   After a couple queries of the internet, my mouth was watering and I was undecided.  Cinnamon Rolls, Cheese, Eggs, Ham, bacon, CHEESE, then an idea struck me and I ran to the kitchen!!  It was a disaster I had made dinner, but had not yet cleaned up, but I could not let go of the idea and I did not have time to write it down.  I quickly cleared a space on the counter so I could get to work. Some of this and some of that, more of this and more of that.  A little twist here, roll it out there.  Almost done I called my husband in to see my near complete creation. Disturbed as he had to leave Star Wars. He looked and with a simple smile on his face said, "You're Weird." And he returned back to watching the 5th episode of Star Wars. . .Whichever one that one is.  I am girl.

So anyhow, the following is as far as I have gotten with my creation.  

Breakfast Casse-ROLLS

2/3 cup Rice Flour
1/3 cup Sorghum Flour
1/4 cup Vanilla Pudding (Jello brand sugar free- fat free is GFCF)
1 TBSP Potato Flour (flour, not starch)
2 TBSP Sugar
1/2 oz Gelatin (abt. 1 TBSP + 1 scant tsp)
2 1/2 tsp Guar Gum
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda, rounded
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
*  *  *  *  
2 tsp Yeast**
1/2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP Warm Water
*  *  *  *
2 TBSP Butter
2/3 cup Warm Rice Milk
1 TBSP Vegetable Oil 
2 eggs, Room Temperature

**If you prefer yeast free, leave out 2nd set of ingredients, along with 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup flour, and use 2/3 cup of starter.  Make a note that starter adds a sourness to your baked goods (quite sharp compared to commercial sourdough bread) and will affect the final taste of baked goods.

1) Mix each set of ingredients in separate containers.  Making sure the dry group is in the largest bowl.  
2) When the yeast mixture has grown into a frothy airy mixture, combine all ingredients into the Large bowl.
3)  When the dough is mixed, roll out to roughly a 10-12 inch rectangle between two pieces of Saran Wrap.   Very important that you use Saran wrap.
4) Brush flattened dough generously with melted butter. 
 
Filling 
 
1/2 batch (1 cup) fresh Cream Soup substitute
1/2 - 3/4 cups thin slices of ham, chopped in 1/2 inch squares
2 TBSP Fresh Green Onion, chopped 
1/4 cup Rice Milk*
1 TBSP Non-Dairy Sour Cream
3 Eggs, scrambled and finely chopped (undercooked is better than over cooked)
1/4 tsp Pepper*

*I did not add these this time, but next time I am going to try it with these.
 
5) Combine all filling ingredients and spread evenly over dough, leaving about 1 inch of dough at the outside end (this will allow the roll to seal filling in as rises and bakes)
6) Prepare a 9 inch pie pan/round cake pan  by heavily buttering it.
7) Using the bottom Saran wrap to help you roll the dough, roll dough into a loose roll.
8) Using a Serrated Knife and cleaning after each cut, cut into 8-9 equal pieces, and place each in pie pan/round cake pan immediately after each cut.  
9) Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes then bake 375 for 20-23 minutes.

White Gravy Topping

1 1/2 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Cornstarch
1 1/3 cup Rice Milk 
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
  
1) Melt butter in a pan over the stove and then add the cornstarch and stir feverishly so no lumps can form.
2) After well mixed, add milk and stir constantly til it starts to thicken, then add pepper and salt.
3) Remove from heat and let cool for 10 mins.
4) Drizzle over the top of your Rolls and ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment