Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pizza Crust Mixes



I'm still working on building my supply of mixes, so last night I put together some pizza crust mixes.  I'm trying to cut back on the time it takes me to prepare meals and make it so we always have something fast and easy (yet descent) to eat on hand.  I am hoping by doing this, we will never be in a situation where we have to jump ship and go out to eat at the last minute before a soccer game or Speech Therapy, both of which happen 2-4 times a week each!  No better time to prepare for this than Spring Break!  Hopefully all of my work will last until summer time, because that will be my next break.

Many of you already know that I have another pizza crust, but this one is a different one; slightly thicker than the other one, uses amaranth & flax (for added nutrition), and also does not need yeast, though you could add it. Each time someone would try my first recipe, they would comment to me that it tasted like Namaste and I would be clueless as to what they were talking about.  What IS Namaste, and what does it taste like, why do people think my pizza is like it and WHY is Namaste so much better than all the rest I also have not tried??  SO this is intentionally an imitation of Namaste rather than a stumble upon creation including  the qualities I felt were important in a pizza crust.  I wanted to taste what Namaste was about with out paying the $6-7 to try it; especially being capable and knowledgeable enough to make it myself.  I'm sorry, is that is a little haughty and over the top?? Totally uncalled for!  OK, I'll take it back; forget I said it : )  

The other recipe is a good thick crust for 2 smaller cake-sized pans (personal pizzas for 8-10 year old boys), while more of a thin crust for the 13-16 inch pans.  This recipe is intended to be a true deep dish/thick crust for a large 13-16 inch pizza and we now have enough boys of sufficient appetite to easily down a large pizza (or two) without flinching.  It also gave me the opportunity to use my new found nutrient dense Amaranth :)  I am always up for a good excuse to create in the kitchen!!

I made my mixes by getting 10 containers that could carry about 3 cups of ingredients.  I placed them all on a cookie tray so that I could work in assembly line fashion and add each ingredient to every container 1 at a time; rather than creating one full mix at a time and then starting then next.  It takes about 1 hour to make 10 mixes this way.  After getting all of the dry ingredients together, mix the contents of each container.  Pour each containers contents into a quart sized ziploc bag.  Label the bag with the name of the mix and the wet ingredients that need to be added along with the baking instructions.  Another option would be to place all the bagged pizza mixes into one larger container and label the container with that information (this way you write down the info 1 time vs 10 and it makes it easier to reuse bags for mixes other than pizza mixes)

Pizza Crust

1 cup Rice Flour
1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
1/2 cup Amaranth Flour
2 TBSP Ground Flax
3 tsp Gelatin
2 1/2 tsp Guar Gum
1 tsp Granulated Onion
1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Poultry Seasoning (McCormick)
1/2 tsp Oregano (rubbed in the palms of your hands 
                              first if you can't find rubbed oregano)
1/2 tsp Parsley**
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ascorbic Acid
* * * *
1 1/2 TBSP Oil
1/4 cup Egg Whites (abt 2)*
3/4 cup or 2 cups water depending on if you like to roll your dough or pour your dough
* * * *
OPTIONAL
2 tsp Yeast
2 TBSP Warm Water
1 TBSP Sugar


*If you are allergic to eggs, use water.
** The red ingredients can be subbed for 2 tsp Italian Blend, which are the exact same ingredient, but in one bottle.  I just don't have this in my cabinet, but I need to get it.

Instructions for use:
Put contents of mix in a bowl and pour wet ingredients over the top.  If you are using the mix for the first time, you may want to measure out the full amount of water and add little by little til you get the consistency you like.  If you want to roll out the dough or pat it out using your fingers, use closer to 3/4 cups of water.  If you like to pour out the dough into the pizza pan, then use closer to the 2 cups water.  Take note of the amount you used for future uses.  I like adding 3/4 cups along with the yeast option.


You can make 3- 8 to 9 inch personal pizzas with cake/pie pan
                     or 1 - 14 inch pizza crust 

If you like to roll out your dough, spray non-stick spray in your pizza pan and place the ball of dough in the pan.  Take a sheet of saran wrap and lay it over the ball press it flat with your hands, then use a rolling pin to roll it out as desired or you could choose to continue patting it to the edges of the pan using your finger tips with the saran wrap still over the dough.

Bake 400 for 10 minutes on the lower rack of the oven, then move it to the middle rack and bake another 5-10 minutes.  For a tougher crust, keep a spray bottle handy and spray it with water after 5 minutes and again after 10 minutes total bake time.  At 15 minutes of total baking time, brush with oil and let bake at least a couple minutes longer.  If you don't care for your crust to be tough, then only do the oiling at 15 minutes. When the crust is ready (toothpick comes out clean)  remove from oven.  At this point you can freeze it (them) in a ziploc bag or use it.  Thaw before use.  (If you have only one gluten free individual in the family you can choose to make the personal pizzas and freeze 2 for later uses.)

To use it brush already baked crust with oil again (do not omit that step or it will be a mushy mess of a pizza), and top with sauce and toppings.  If you are using a cheese that requires a high temperature to melt (like Vegan Gourmet), turn the oven up to 450 and bake til the cheese is melted (about 13 minutes).  If you are using something like Daiya (not recommended for pizza) or regular cheese bake til the meats look done (about 7 minutes).

Below is how the crust looks.  The darkness comes from my using Dark Flax seed.  If you use Golden Flax the appearance will be pale.

                 Fresh Baked  
          Oiled before sauce is on

No comments:

Post a Comment