Sunday, January 22, 2012

Coconut Sugar Treats

Sunday is my baking day for many reasons.  I love to bake and it is a stress-less activity for me; AND it gets us prepared for our week.  I find if I bake 3 snack type items, I don't have to worry so much about if there is a quick snack available.  Most people can provide the snacks a typical child needs by going to the store.  Even in a gluten and dairy free diet you can, however, it costs soo much I find it more effective for our family to just make sure we set aside the time to make the bulk of our snacks at home. Also, by making them at home, I have full control over the ingredients I put in them.

My goal for today was not only to make the snacks, but also to really get to know the flexibility and effective uses of Coconut Sugar.  I used it in all the cookies posted in the picture- UN-Peanut Butter Cookies, Coconut Macaroons made with bananas instead of eggs, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Bread.  It worked fabulously in all of these and I even had no problem with the yeast rising in my Bread.  There also was no noticeable compromise of flavor in these items, though the color was slightly darker than usual.  The color of the Coconut Macaroons was most noticeable, darkening just to the level of a pale-colored caramel. The Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies I am comfortable saying that their color was left unchanged and the bread was the color of your average whole wheat loaf.


SOO, many of you are probably wondering why I have ventured into Coconut sugar.  If you are curious about this, I recommend you read my previous post HERE- other than that, all I've got to say is its got more nutrients in it than many vitamin supplements and easier for your body to absorb too!

No comments:

Post a Comment