Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Clean Value - High rise, low crumbs!



This beautifully worn commercial hamburger pan was my absolute first purchase upon adopting the Gluten Free lifestyle.  I think I spent 15 dollars for shipping and all in EBAY. It came to me 36 inches wide and of course, it could not fit in my oven as was.  I took a hack saw and cut it in half so that I would be able to use it. I LOVE this pan!! 

My intentions for it was hamburger bun/English muffin substitutes, however, it has definitely paid its way and proven its value being used for everyday bread too. Several benefits result from using these pans.

  • All bread of course is pre-portioned
  • The smaller amounts of dough allow for a better rise, because there is no weight of dough 'on top' preventing it from rising and there is also greater absorption of warmth.  Just look at the large air pockets in the picture below!!
  • The soft crust all over prevents crumbs; WONDERFUL when you have many little munchkins feasting on gluten free bread!! (imagine a less crummy floor w/o getting rid of your kids :o) 
  • I pre-slice these before putting them in the fridge (or freezer) and my kids self serve.  I don't have to cut the loaf for them and I don't have to stress about them crumbling a pre-sliced loaf either.  These are durable, yet soft crusted and just as tasty as a gluten free loaf too. 
  • The only down side is that it takes a little more work to get them on trays vs. bread pans.
  • One of my kids did not like to have a 'round' sandwich in his lunch at school.  Yeah, it is a little different, but. . .???  To each his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment